12.09.2009

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 10: Overall Project Reflection

What was your SMART goal? Did it change at all during the project? 
My SMART goal was "I will take 3 minute showers, except on days when I shave, I will allow myself 7 minutes". I only edited this once towards the beginning, by making it shorter because it was too easy. 
What helped you be successful? What things got in your way? How can you address these in the future?
It helped me to have a timed cd or music source playing while I showered to measure my time accurately. That way if the song was coming to an end, I knew it was time to wrap it up. Since we live in a creaky, old Duluth house, sometimes the irregularity in the water temperature made showering in general difficult, but I worked through that. That is something Duluth renters will have to live with until the end of time. (ha) 
How did you benefit from this project? What did you learn about yourself? What did you learn about behavior change?
This goal turned into a habit for me. I learned that if I continue with something long enough it just becomes part of my life and I don't even need to think twice about it. I also recruited other people towards the end to try my lifestyle change as well. It was rewarding to see others taking the same initiative.
How did others and/or the environment benefit from you changing this behavior?
From shortening my shower time, I not only saved water but our utility bills went down. We saved money and less water was wasted. Success!



Will you continue this behavior? Why or why not?
I sure will! Since it became a habit, it won't be hard at all to keep it up and since it is so good for the environment and our checkbooks, I don't see why not.
What recommendations do you have for others about making a lifestyle change?
I would say make it achievable. If you know you can do it and you succeed, that is when you make it harder. If you make it part of your routine, that is when it will become a habit.

Blogged for the Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 10 by Amy@Eco-Chic With Amy 

2 comments:

  1. you know you have succeeded when you realize this "change" has now become a "habit"...nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome you are going to continue your change! :)

    ReplyDelete