12.10.2009

Read 'n' Seed 6: Final Review of "Smashed"


 
Overview of the entire book.
Smashed was a book about a girl's journey through her relationship with alcohol. It started with her first sip in her early teen years and continued on to well after she was out of college and she finally got to the point where she finally realized her drinking was out of control and her life was on a downward spiral. She quit drinking altogether and reflected upon the past eight or so years of her life. 
  Three most significant things.
1. Her own realization of the problem after years and years of excessive drinking was astonishing.
2. Her viewpoint throughout the entire book of what it was like to be in a sorority and to base your college life on the partying and drinking rather than grades and classes was crazy to me.
3. One of the most important points of the book I thought were how she went through friends like crazy when they had drinking in common. They would go through their lull together and then get in a huge drunken fight and just like that it would be over. It was weird to think she didn't have any stable friends.
  What does it mean to you? Why is it important?
Not only did this open my eyes to the things that could be going on around me in college and I am not even aware of, but this makes me a little bit worried about when I have my own kids. I don't imagine the drinking and partying part of college is really ever going to die down and I'm sure someday I will have to be on the parent end of the situation. To think of the things Koren's parents had to deal with after she had some hospital trips and stomach pumping incidents makes my stomach flip.
  Do you recommend this book? Why or why not?
I highly recommend this book, especially for those who have drank excessively in college. It fast forwards you to the time in your life where you will look back and wish you would have done it differently, without so much of the drinking. Maybe this book can help, or has helped, someone before it is too late.
 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like such an interesting read! I am sure this would be a good book for the vast majority of students at UMD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this would be a great book for a majority of college students in general. I feel like as I grow up in my college career I look back to others that are freshman or sophomores and cannot believe the BINGE drinking they do or I matter-of-factly did.
    There are so many things you think are a good idea at the exact moment but end up not being the best choice in the long run....
    Sweet book!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read this book! It sounds very interesting and is a huge eye opener to any college student that drinks. It is crazy how it can affect you life in the long run..

    ReplyDelete