10.22.2009

Share & Voice: Monster Dash 10-mile


 


Hi everyone!
Next weekend I am participating in my second 10-mile race of October. It is called the Monster Dash and the course winds around the beautiful Lake Harriet. Now to a lot of people 10 miles seems like an absolute CRAZY length to run, let alone walk, but I beg of you to open your mind to the idea. 

In high school, I used to think 'running for fun' (cross country) was absurd. These people want to run miles upon miles after school everyday.. and then a couple times a week race people from other towns at these distances?? They are nuts!! As I travelled off to college and explored new options for exercise, running kept coming to mind. For me it is something that not only keeps me in the best shape, but it is a great stress reliever. I just don't seem to get the same benefits from using the elliptical or stair stepper. 

What is nice about the Monster Dash (or really any race put on) is that they offer different distances so that the participants are anywhere from beginning runners to experienced runners who want to challenge themselves. For my first 'longer' distance run, I chose to do 10 miles because I could easily run 4 or 5 so that was an attainable goal for me while still having to challenge myself. 




Not only is running good to get into for the health benefits, but the cardio endurance you build up allows you to do more things throughout your day without fatiguing as easy. A lot of people prefer to walk or jog over taking their car and that is how I like that running ties in with maintaining our environment. I encourage everyone to just get out there for a walk if you are really anti-running. Leave the car at home, your heart and the environment will thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome job with this being your second 10 mile race this October! I am really pushing to do a half marathon or at least start with a 5k. I am also going to do the brewhouse triathlon next summer! I love that people love to run and want to be fit and challenge themselves by running races! Keep me updated on any other races you hear of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you props for running a 10 mile race!! Such a great challenge-physically and mentally. I walk a lot, but really need to start running more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude this sounds SO fun! Are you going to be dressing up as a monster then I take it? If so which one? Make sure you post some pictures and goodluck!!

    ReplyDelete